On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 11:20:06PM +0100, Carel Fellinger wrote
> Now that I've two machines I'm finally able to experience the full benefits
> of Debian GNU/Linux. Reading all I could find on the subject on the HAMM-cd's
> I managed to get nfs and nis working, exported /home and did some tests.
>
> using ncftp I get the expected 1.0+MBs transfer copying a large file into
> /dev/null. Quite reasonable on a 10Mbs ethernet considering ftp and tcp each
> adding their things. But if I do dd -if=/home/biggy of=/dev/null it takes
> 10 times more then doing it locally and only fills a little more than
> half the ethernet bandwith! how come? would it help to switch to 100Mbs
> Ethernet? or has nfs so much overhead (but ftp does okee)? or is the 486
> the culprit?

NFS is stateless and thus has significantly higher overhead than
(say) ftp (although, being stateless has its advantages - you
can reboot the server and suffer nothing worse than a long pause).
NFS under Linux 2.0 lives largely in userspace, which hurts performance
a little also.

Use NFS for convenience, but if you want to copy large chunks between
machines fast consider using ftp or scp.

John P.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]