aphro wrote:

> mieren >My common sense tells me that that depends on your hardware.
>
> dual p2-233 128MB ..

Well, my common sense was a bit lazy yesterday, but now it is perfectly
aware of the fact that it depends on the processes as well :-)

But as my common sense produces rather stupid answers I thought about it
myself.

I would suggest that you push the number of processes to the limit step
by step, i.e. you increase until some processes get swapped out. Be
carefull that you still have enough disk-cache to ensure that your
webservers don't have to wait for the hdds. You should also keep an eye
on the number of file descriptors/inodes (/proc/sys/fs/* see
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/proc.txt for an explanation).

To test the setup I would generate a lot of request for some
(avarage-sized) files which will increase the number of processes. If
you get a lot of disk activity you did something wrong.

Hope it helps!

- Konrad Mierendorff