--- "W. Keegan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've since recompiled the kernel and while it's much smaller and I
> "think" its faster then before it's not at par with the 486-33.

I told you :)

> The 486-33 (Carol) has 42mb ram and I was wrong about the 486-
> 100 (Alice) machine it's only got 20mb of ram.

That's a problem. RAM is essential for good performance. Give it a bit more.

> As far as swap space Carol has a swap partition but Alice has a swap file
on
> the single partition, Corel didn't ask at install.

So change it manually. A swap file is worse than a dedicated partition.

> Top tells me I'm 26M into Alice's swap file as I write this.

8-O no wonder it's slow...

> As for the desktop I'm running WindowMaker without Gnome on Alice and the
> 33Mhz Carol runs FVWM2.

I dumped WindowMaker for Sawmill on my PPC box with 48M RAM because it was
too slow...

The short story is: If your system hits swap heavily, it's _dead_.

Michel

=====
"Software is like sex; it's better when it's free"
 -- Linus Torvalds

"If you continue running Windows, your system may become unstable."
 -- Windows 95 BSOD