make sure you got the line right i believe it is:

append="mem=128M"

been a while since i used it though, the easiest way to see free ram is to
type 'free' or cat /proc/meminfo or use top or use dmesg and search for
the amount of ram it detects:

Memory: 127948k/131008k available (1068k kernel code, 412k reserved, 1536k
data, 44k init)

its probably best to leave 1MB free when using the append option for most
boards, so tell linux u got 127MB instead of 128 sometimes allocating
every last bit of ram can cause problems(sometimes minor sometimes major).

nate