Hello,

First, If there is a better way, PLEASE let me know!  I'm trying to
move a working boot floppy to a partition to test it without having
to keep uncompressing/compressing/writing-floppy each time.

I'm trying to build a very small 1-floppy linux system, that I can use
to boot, and access my ZIP drive and CDROM for backup and
restore purposed.  I am using the "zdisk" package, under which I have
managed to get my Zip drive working with, using my debian 2.0.36
kernel, and imm.o from the "imm" package. (boots great!)

** My current problem is that I can't move this floppy based system
to my hard drive for testing.  I have a spare 17Mb partition that
I am trying to set up this system on.  I have copied the kernel
to it, and ALL the directories and files from the floppy based system
to the partition.  I have added the following to lilo.conf:

  image=/spare/vmlinuz
  root=/dev/hda7
  label=rescue
  read-only

When I select "rescue" from lilo, the kernel is found, and starts
booting OK.  Everything goes well, then when some (?) processes
are attempted to be started, I get messages stating that ID 1
(through 7) are respawning too quickly, and are being disabled for
5 minutes.  I see NO log files at all created under this hda7
partition, so I can't tell what is wrong.

I am hoping that someone out there either:

1) Knows enough about the zdisk system (linux system) configuration
 to tell me that I'll never succeed at this, or has a possible
 answer.

2) Knows of a better and/or simpler way to approach building a
 small linux system.  For now, I thought the small system
 provided with "zdisk" would be the simplest way to getting a
 small linux system working (first) from a hard drive, and learning
 about ALL the pieces of the startup scripts/etc.  Then I could
 start trying to get the pcmcia stuff, and my CDROM working.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

John