On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 09:07:29AM +0100, Thomas Delaet wrote :
> I have troubles mounting my /var filesystem.
> [...]
> /dev/hdc2       /var          ext2   defaults                   0      1
> [...]
> And when I start up I got the message : filesystem not cleanly unmounted

        Maybe your /dev/hdc2 is corrupted in a way fsck can't fix
it automatically. Just login as root after booting (without
/var/) and issue the following command :

# fsck /dev/hdc2

(iow: repair it manually).

You're getting asked a bunch of question whose default answer are
sufficient.

kind regards,
        Markus

--