Hi Armin,

  What was the options that were supplied to the gpm by check
  the file in /etc/gpm.conf (in potato).

  If you see the  line "repeat+type=....".  Comment this out
  by placing an '#' (without the quote).  and stop and restart
  the gpm by:

      /etc/init.d/gpm stop

  and

      /etc/init.d/gpm start

  then try to run your X again to see if it would resolve
  the problem.

  Let me know if you need further help.