>leave POP3 in place.  Which MTA is the best given my limitation?

Try XMail :

http://www.maticad.it/davide
ftp://ftp.maticad.it/pub/misc/mailsvr.zip

<DESC>
XMail is an Internet and intranet mail server featuring an SMTP server, POP3
server, finger server, multiple domains, no need for users to have a real
system account, SMTP relay checking, RBL and custom spam protection, a POP3
account syncronizer with external POP3 accounts, aliases, custom mail
processing, mailing lists, remote administration, custom mail exchangers,
logging, and multi-platform GPL source code. XMail lacks user-friendly
configuration utilities, but is quite stable for production use. The sources
compile under Linux and NT but I plan to make a port to FreeBSD and HPUX.
Read the file README.TXT included with the distribution.
</DESC>

Davide.

--
Feel free, feel Debian !