try:

echo 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_timestamps

If that does not help, try turning off all compression by ppp (header
compression and the like) and let only the modem do the compression.

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Rick Hayter wrote:

> I'm looking for some troubleshooting help.
> Slink is working like a champ in all aspects but ppp connection speed.
> Actually, I connect at high speeds, but my sustained throughput runs from
> only 200-400 bps!  When first downloading, I get a burst of speed, but in
> seconds all activity seems to stop.... then another short transfer burst...
> then another pause... etc. (I am using an external modem that works fine in
> windoze98). Am I looking at a buffer overflow or handshake problem? What
> should I do to help diagnose this? Thanks!
>
> - Rick
>

> --

George Bonser

"When someone annoys you, it takes 32 muscles to frown, but it only
takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack them in the head."