Lying to dpkg eventually causes huge problems and usually a re-install.  If you
can not install the software from debs, please mail the maintainer or submit
bugs.  It is very important to debian that all of our software work out of the
box for our users.  You should never have to see source if you do not want to.

So, you have to compile something.  Consider using apt-get source and compiling
the package yourself, seeing how it works.  You may even discover ways to make
our system better.

OpenSSL is available on the non-us mirrors.  add:
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US/ unstable non-US/main non-US/contrib
non-US/non-free

to your /etc/apt/sources.list.

Two additional pieces of information:

mailing <package name>@packages.debian.org always goes to the maintainer of the
package.  So mailing say [EMAIL PROTECTED] gets you to the person who
can help.

install reportbug and use it for bug reporting.  It lists open bugs, will give
you the bug's info, allow you to submit bugs or add info to existing ones, and
more.

I hope this helps.