Quoting Kerstin Hoef-Emden ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>
> > > The ppp dial-in is still unreliable. Usually the first attempt fails,
> > > [...]
> > > What might be the problem? Once the connection is settled, it seems to
> > > be stable.
> > >
> > this might be related to the above problem, as the serial port, through
> > which the modem is connected, cannot be set up properly.
>
> I've changed that thing now and the S30.serial message does not show up
> any more. But the ppp-dialling is still the same. The first dialing ends
> up with a negociation problem and a hang-up. The second dialing works.
> This ppp connection is as well different from the smooth working one of
> RedHat in that it does not work, when I simply type telnet and the name
> of the server I want to log in. I always have to type in the complete
> name with domain. Under RedHat, the plain server name without domain
> suffices.  Both DNS-servers of the University are listed in /etc/resolv.conf
> and in /etc/ppp/resolv.

It might be worth posting these files (mangled if necessary).

> Initialising the ISDN-TA does not seem to be the problem. I can
> remember, I had a similar problem with RedHat in the very beginning. It
> was gone, after I once configured the ppp with ppp-config (before, I was
> fiddling around in editing the files by hand). I still don't know what
> the problem was. But with Debian, I started right away with pppconfig
> and have a similar negociation problem after establishing the line.
>
> Heaps of this are in /var/log/debug:
>
> Apr 11 01:26:49 alphons pppd[161]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap
> 0x0> <magi
> c 0x224b6011> <pcomp> <accomp>]
> Apr 11 01:26:49 alphons pppd[161]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0xfe <auth pap>
> <magic 0
> x7a680798> < 11 04 05 f4> < 13 0a 01 72 61 2d 75 6e 69 31>]

The other end is asking you to authenticate with pap.

> Apr 11 01:26:49 alphons pppd[161]: sent [LCP ConfRej id=0xfe < 11 04 05
> f4> < 13
>  0a 01 72 61 2d 75 6e 69 31>]

AIUI your end is rejecting the protocols listed as numbers (which it
presumably can't translate into words).

> Apr 11 01:26:49 alphons pppd[161]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <asyncmap
> 0x0> <magi
> c 0x224b6011> <pcomp> <accomp>]
    ^^^^^^^^^^
>From this point on, everything you receive is from yourself, ie, your
line is now looped back. The giveaway is the "magic" number, a random
number chosen by each end and sent with every packet. At this point,
you start getting your own magic back.

> Apr 11 01:26:52 alphons pppd[161]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap
> 0x0> <magi
> c 0x224b6011> <pcomp> <accomp>]
> Apr 11 01:26:52 alphons pppd[161]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <asyncmap
> 0x0> <magi
> c 0x224b6011> <pcomp> <accomp>]

Cheers,

--
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Tel: +44 1908 653 739  Fax: +44 1908 655 151