Recent versions of netscape will slow a 16Mb system to a crawl.  How does the
system respond when you aren't running netscape?  What window manager
are you using?  What else are you running at the time.  Check you netscape
memory cache size.

I would be wiling to bet the problem lies in the (lack of) RAM.

Bryan