Michael Skipper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I formatted this for submission to the bugs list, but it seems
> such a basic problem that I suspect it stems from my status
> as an absolute novice with linux--and so I'm posting here.
>
> package: boot floppies
> version: linux 2.0.36 (kernel-image-2.0.36_2.0.36-3)
>
> arch: i386 (pentium I)
> model: IBM Thinkpad 760EL
> mem: 48MB
> card: 3com 3C574TX (16bit 10/100BASE-TX)
>
> When I try to boot from the rescue floppy (downloaded from the
> <http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/
> ch-install-methods.en.html#s-file-descs> area and written to
> floppy with rawrite2 in DOS), the install hangs after the following:
>
> boot: linux floppy=thinkpad
> _ (blinking)
>
> it should detect hardware at this point, yes?  It does not (at least
> not in an hour or so), and no error messages appear. Sound familiar
> to anyone?
>
> BTW this model TP does not boot from CD

Make sure the floppy is okay. Do this by doing a full format in
Win/DOS and make sure there are NO bad blocks reported. I remember one
install I did where I had to go through three of my floppies before I
got one that was clean.

Also, try it without the "floppy=thinkpad". I've seen some Thinkpads
that require that and some that don't.

If that doesn't work you could try an alternate rescue disk image. I'm
not sure where you got the 2.0.36 one but certainly on
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/slink/main/disks-i386/current
there's the resc1440-safe.bin in addition to the standard res1440.bin
and I think their based on the 2.1.x series of kernels.

You also might consider starting with the Debian potato release
instead of slink. Potato's frozen, which means it's release isn't far
off, and has been very stable on my ThinkPad 600E and I don't remember
any install problems.

Good luck,
Gary