Thibaut Cousin wrote:

> Le Mon, 29 May 2000, vous avez écrit :
> > Thibaut Cousin wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > >   I'd like to be able to put my computer to sleep as it does under
> > > windows. So
> > > far, I've gotten my screen to suspend, but that's all... and the APM doc
> > > is
> > > useless.
> > >   My SCSI host adapter is a 2940 Ultra, and the drive is a Quantum
> > > Fireball.
> > > The CPU is a PII.
> > >
> > >   I have a SCSI drive, my / partition is on it. Is it possible to suspend
> > > the drive ? hdparm is only for IDE drives, and I found nothing in
> > > hwtools...
> > >   By the way, is it possible to control the CPU fan too ? My computer is a
> > > desktop one, not a laptop, but it can do it, I believe ?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Thibaut Cousin
> > > email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >
> > > --
> > I don't think it is possible to contol the cpu fan. To do
> > that, it needs to implemented in your motherboard's bios, or
> > you would have get/make it yourself (a device that measures
> > cpu-temperature and can control the voltage to the fan
> > accordingly).
>
>   Well, it has probably been done, because windows is able to do it (on the
> same computer) ! As for Linux, apm's doc talks about it, but it is not clear
> at
> all.
Allright, great for you! someone must have done it in Linux,
seems noise is a common problem!

> > On my Compaq PII350, they've put a <huge> aluminium heatsink
> > on the processor and left out the fan. This is a wonderfully
> > silent solution to that!
>
>   Is it a desktop ? That seems very nice indeed...
Yep, desktop it is. Rather large box, and it's got no other
fans than the one in the powersupply. FYI, it's a Deskpro
EP6350. I'm in the process of fabricating a similar heatsink
for a friend of mine, who's got a sound-studio, so he needs a
very silent puter. All the data for the heatsink are available
at Intel's developer site, look for "Thermal Guidelines".

> > Have you compiled apm into your kernel? also, there's a
> > apm-tools package (I forget the exact name, but a search for
> > apm in dselect should find it).
>
>   Yes. I compiled APM with "Enabled at boot time" and "Power off on shutdown".
> The package you're talking about must be apmd. It seems to be what I need, but
> I don't understand anything to the doc, and the /etc/apm directory is almost
> empty :-( Maybe apmd is limited to laptops... I really don't know.
Don't think so. I have the same Kernel-options as you do, and
the box shuts itself off fine. It also seems to spin down and
go into sleep-mode fine, but this could be a hardware-thing
(read: Compaq-bios-thing). I know people have made suspend and
sleep and hd spindown work with debian apm -have you tried the
list-archives? This comes up quite often...
Good Luck
Vitux