On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 03:34:08AM +0200, Ron Rademaker wrote
> On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Simon Tennant wrote:
>
> > I currently have a Dec VT320 hooked up to my Debian box via a serial line
> > on /dev/ttyS1.  This box sits in the kitchen spewing the output of a
> > tcpdump and provides and interesting way to monitor network activity in
> > the house.
>
> Cool ;)
>

> > I currently have to login and run "tcpdump -i eth1".  I'd like tcpdump to
> > be run automatically when the console is powered up and for no input to be
> > accepted from the keyboard.
> >
> > To that end I've investigated getty-ps and mgetty.  Both want a login or
> > at lease a username in the case of getty-ps.
> >
> > Has anyone successfully managed to get a prelogged in console working?
> >

> Never tried, but maybe you can do something with a script in /etc/init.d,
> or instead of running a getty on the terminal a script??

For the stated application, why not just add this to /etc/inittab:
td:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/tcpdump -i eth1 &>/dev/ttyS1

then
# telinit Q

No login, no security problem aside from people shouldering data
off your local ethernet while they make coffee.

For this to work, you will have to setup the serial port to the
right speed for the terminal; you can do this in your local
startup scripts, or make a little script that does it and then
runs tcpdump, and use that in place of tcpdump in your inittab
entry.

John P.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]