On 03-Aug-2000 Brian Stults wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using the kernel-based auto mounter, autofs.  I have all my mount
> points in the default /var/autofs/misc, and I have symbolic links to
> them in /mnt.  However, whenever I do a listing of /mnt (either from an
> xterm, or from within an application such as StarOffice), all of the
> devices controlled by autofs are mounted.

This is normal, since ls or soffice will try to readlink(2) the symlinks, thus
getting autofs mount them.

> Is there a way to prevent
> this?  If I want to access my CD-RW from within StarOffice, I would like
> to be able to go into the directory called /mnt and then go into the
> directory called /mnt/cdrw.  But I would like to be able to do this
> without inadvertantly automatically mounting all the devices controlled
> by autofs.  Any suggestions?

If you stay with this configuration, you cannot change this behavior.
The problem is that when you don't use links, you can't refer to the mountpoint
while browsing from a gui, since this is created when you try to access it.
Most of these programs however can use bookmarks for directory URLs too. So you
can add the mountpoints to your bookmarks; under mc you could use the directory
hotlist.

HTH,
Lehel