On Sun, 03 Sep 2000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 10:12:33AM -0300, Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
> I thought that might be the case but I'm still concerned about the
> freezing ttys.  I can't believe that it's intended behaviour.

It is not, but it may be either something weird in /etc/inittab (I seem to
recall some ttys aren't restarted in all runlevels by default. They WILL
freeze), or your tty driver is bonkers (I recommend fbgetty for consoles,
mgetty for serial lines).

> > BTW, there's an utterly braindamaged behaviour in many (most?) daemon
> > packages during upgrade: They will start their daemons regardless of the
> > current runlevel, so keep this in mind during upgrades if you hand-trimmed
> > your runlevels to actually mean something.
>
> Hmmm.  A newly installed package won't know which levels you want it
> running in but one being upgrade ought to be able to check.

My point exactly.

> > Proposing a fix to this is in my TODO list. The code is rather easy, really,
> > but requires a policy change as almost all packages who have something in
> > /etc/init.d will have to be fixed.
>
> I'm new to Debian and only just finished reading the policy docs atc.
> I suppose some extended version of update-rc.d is the thing for that.

Yes, and the new script would be provided by the file-rc and sysvinit
packages (and any other future /etc/init.d wrappers/handlers).

  Henrique Holschuh