I just tried installing a .deb from an old CD, and I used apt-cdrom.
Somehow, it must have decided to remove a lot of my applications the next
time I ran dselect. I just hit enter and when I looked back, I found out
that I had just removed a large percentage of my applications!!!

Is there a way to return to the previous state in dselect, so I can
re-install these applications? I can't find a way to do this, but it  seems
to remember things like that, and I sure don't want to have to select and
configure over a hundred packages again.

Please reply, since I'm not currently subscribed.

Thanks!

John