> I downloaded the Staroffice binaries (10 files with an extension of .bin)
> from the Sun site and realized I have no idea how to install them

   *.bin files are binary files, i.e. programs.  Assuming you want to
install these as a normal user (which is typical for StarOffice), do the
following:

cd ~
chmod +x so*.bin

   This would change to your home directory and then make so*.bin
executable.  Then run the first file and see what it does (sorry, I've
only installed the one big StarOffice file).

--
 Regards, | Seeing Bill Gates in TV ads whining about the court verdict,
 .        | perhaps we should recall Woodrow Wilson's warning of 1912: "If