Damian Menscher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Samuli Suonpaa wrote:
>> Umm... As you state, most applications asymmetric only for the key and
>> symmetric for data. How come you still consider symmetric encryption
>> to be faster?
> I'm afraid I don't understand your question...

It might be, because I left at least one word out. _And_, the whole
question was, I think, quite poorly written. Let's try again, shall
we.

> Why do you think the asymmetric algorithms are really just wrappers
> around a symmetric algorithm?  (Answer: because the symmetric method
> is faster!)

My point exactly.

No, how come we came to think we had different opinions on this one?
The thread started by somebody asking a way to encrypt files
asymmetric and Brian May stated symmetric method was faster.
_Technically_ this is, of course, true.

But, from the users point of view, saying "gpg -e" imho qualifies as
using asymmetric encryption, although the data is _technically_
encrypted symmetric and only the key asymmetric. So, this in mind, I
told there was no notable difference in whether you use symmetric or
asymmetric encryption. Please note, that I was talking about the use
of gpg - or pgp - all the time. Although it seems I should have made
that more clear.

My point in all this is, that when I encrypt something for myself -
like when making backups - I usually use "gpg -er suonpaa" instead of
"gpg -c". Neat and simple, safe enough and as fast as "gpg -c", I
think. Although I have never cared enough to time it, really.

(My lack of language skills... Is it okay to say the data was
encrypted symmetric or should I say it was encrypted symmetrically?)

Suonpää...