> After a painful experience trying to get PHP4 working, I'm trying a new
> approach.  I've removed MySQL, PHP4 and Apache completely.
>
> Would someone who has successfully installed PHP3 and Apache to a point
> where they can display a simple .php3 page on Debian 2.2 (potato) system
> please be kind enough to explain (as if to a child :O)), what steps they
> took, what extra bits need to be done.

Here's what I did:
1. Install mysql and mysql-dev. Server and client.
2. Get php source.
3. Get apache source
4. Build apache with DSO support (in the README)
5. Go to php tree and follow instructions on how to build php with mod_php
for apache. Basically, compile it from source, with some extra
instructions.
And that works perfectly
Andrei

First there was Explorer...