Jeff Hornsberger wrote:

> Hi, I just moved over from RH and when I used gnome on there it used to
> save and restore my sound volume settings when I logged in and out. I
> sort of have that working in Debian (Woody), except it only restores my
> sound settings after I run the gnome mixer program once. When I reboot
> it resets the audio levels to very high volumes. Anybody know how to fix
> this? Thanks. -Jeff
>
> --

If you find a way to do this from within gnome, please
let me know.  I have the same problem.  But, here's a
workaround.  There is a program called 'volume' that
can be run at boot time through the module options.
I placed the following line in /etc/modutils/arch/i386:

post-install sb /bin/volume 10

So my i386 file now looks like this:

alias midi awe_wave
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
post-install sb /bin/volume 10

When this is entered, run update-modules and the
modules.conf file will be updated, the lines being
added to that file.  I just posted the sound module
lines here.  Your entry may be somewhat different
depending on what your loading, of course, but the key
command line is the post-install.  This runs the
volume program after the sound modules are loaded
and sets the volume to 10 percent.

The volume-2.1.tgz should be attached.  There may be
other programs that do the same thing, but this worked
so I didn't really look any further.

--
tony mollica
[EMAIL PROTECTED]