There are a number of ways to do it. I've never done it on Debian as since I
switched over I've always used a black background with a nice image in GDM
chooser.
However on other distro's I used xv, xbanner and I think Electric Eyes at
different times. I'm sure one or the other of these is available under Debian
and
they have have "inroot" options which will do what you want.

Redhat used xrsi (or something similar) which was the nicest I'd used.

Give one of the above a whirl and drop me a line if you have a prob.