At 08:59 PM 10/24/00 +0200, you wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace a Windows NT domain controler
by a samba server so that a newly installed client system creates its entry
in the domain automatically? I think MS works that way, doesn't it?

Kinda - it depends on your clients more than anything. Samba 2.0.7 is the latest official version, and can act as a domain controller to authenticate and provide file and print sharing for win95/8 machines. It cannot act as a PDC for a domain of NT workstations though.

Samba 2.1.x is *supposed* to have full PDC/BDC support for NT domains, but its still work in progress,

I have a dozen win95b machines using an old pentium as a samba server - rocks seriously hard considering the budget was $100 NZ, and that was spend on the O'Reilly book "Samba". I thoroughly recommend it to you.

--
Criggie