I rebooted my box today to clear out a kernel module that got itself
stuck somehow and wouldn't unload. When the machine came back up the
screen went blank upon SVGATextMode running.

I logged in remotely and messed with it for a bit, to no avail. My last
ditch solution was to purge svgatextmode and the console-tools
packages, and reinstall them.

With its default configuration SVGATextMode now works, but when I
change the chipset from 'VGA' to 'Riva128' (which fits my card -
a Diamond Viper 330E), I get nothing on the screen. Trying
different modes, I found that screen shows nothing when 8-pixel
wide fonts are used, and when modes with 9-pixel wide fonts are used
I get strange 'double width' fonts (think mode 2 on the old BBCs).
When this happens every second letter on the screen is displayed
twice, but the others aren't (hmm, bad explanation ..) .. for example,
my login prompt looks like this:

DDbbaa  NN//iiuu  oodd  bbuuiinnttyy

oottssaa ooii::

rather than the normal:

Debian GNU/Linux woody obtusian tty1

obtusian login:

(All this in the freaky double-width font).

Clues? Its got me stumped.

(FWIW, I tried swapping the card for another of the same type, same
problem).

Regards,
Rob.