Dear People,

I've marked this OT, but really it is probably less OT than many posts
that have appeared on this mailing list recently. :-)

I was wondering if any people on this group do volunteer work using
their knowledge/expertise with Debian/Free Software to help deserving
causes. I'm particularly thinking of progressive groups here. Here I'm
defining progressive groups broadly to mean any group whose aims are
similar to those of Free Software, namely promoting freedom, community
etc.. Another possibility would be helping your local municipality or
town with their free software needs, hence (theoretically) saving
everyone money in taxes etc.

The reason I am asking is that I am thinking about getting involved in
something like this in the near future as a way to make a
contribution, and I was wondering how difficult it would be. Is there
really a market for this kind of thing or not? I suppose I am assuming
here the existence of groups that can afford access to the net but
cannot afford the cost of full time computer staff/system
adminstrators to keep their desktops/servers running. I expect this
situation exists, but I wonder what difficulties might arise
here. Helping ones local government might be more difficult than this,
since they are more likely to want to go with the "mainstream"
options.

I'd be interested in hearing about people's experiences.

                                                       Faheem.