On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> if i don't upgrade to woody, would it be better to do this from source
> packages?
>
> i'm wondering if X will be linked against woody libraries...

In my opinion it should be much more less truble to upgrade only some
packages to woody. Then at least the package management system knows about
what is going on, and the xserver packages would be better integrated into
the whole Debian system.

A friend of mine has a potato box which has some unstable packages
installed (it would take about 140MB download to upgrade it completely to
to a most recent woody system), and it worked well. Recently it happende
to him, that while he installed the woody version of gnucash, that also
the xserver was updated. This caused some minor breakage, but after
updating some more packages (mostly some X packages which weren't
automaticaly updated by apt-get automaticaly, and the sawfish package) and
fixing some bugs manualy (something like to change the
"DisplayManager.randomFile" in /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config from
"/dev/urandom" to "/dev/mem", or to correct a symbolic link here ... so
no real _big_ bugs) the whole system worked well and stable again, no
further problems.

I guess to fix these small things is much less trouble then compiling and
installing XFree from tarbals and get it then smothly running. Branden did
in my opinion a very, very well job, and apt-get/dpkg does its own job
also _very_ well...

Martin

--
This is Linux Country.
In a quiet night,

For public GnuPG-key: finger [EMAIL PROTECTED]