I'd just like to pledge my support for this, and if you need any help then
please
do get in touch!

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 12:45:35AM +1100, hogan wrote:
> > the boot floppy disk)). Most documents found do not suite debian to
> > 100%, that would not be the case in that generator.
> > and as you said is you said, the scripts searching for valid information
> > is pretty easy, but the structure of the database will have the most
> > importance for the whole thing to work.
>
> Agreed! The database structure is the most important thing of all.
<snips> technologies or operating systems etc. are introduced (for example,
biometric
> devices) one won't have to rewrite the system from scratch or hack it to bits.
> I mean if the data is put into such a system correctly, the output document
> format can be just about anything! :)

Yes, the database structure must be very very extensible and must be able to
cope with anything the future will hurl at it!

> If for example someone is trying to find a solution for working with Foobar
> Corp's new Model X device under environment A.. and someone has a solution for
> working with Foobar Corp's older Model T device under environment B - the
> database should be able to try and find the closest similarities and show the
> instructions for the Model T - flagging that it may not be the solution.

That may well involve an almost electronic-level understanding of the peripheral
in question, which is not always possible. I think that the greatest problem is
that people coming from windows no almost nothing about the hardware they have -
if their motherboard has a sound set built on to it then they will not know the
chipset (I didn't for a long time ;-). This may become the hampering factor - if
you have to specify everything (down to design of motherboard, IDE controllers
etc) then it may become a little too complex.

> Also your point about "most documents found do not suite (sic) debian to 100%"
> is true - however to discard this information is not good - having the
> facility to describe it as "not 100% suitable for debian but worth reading" in
> the event that someone hasn't yet written a debian solution would be great.
> Indeed writing the system from the word go to be "Debian" specific could be
> damaging to the system's popularity - if you could keep it general and
> generate enough interest in it, you could have vendors entering information
> directly into the system..

That's very true. But as different dists have things set up differently (eg FSH)
it may be a little hard for them to enter info directly into the system. Plus,
many of the other dists provide a great deal of documentation. Additionally,
some of the maufacturers have very poor installation guides and the guides will
need re-writing to make them useful in anyway (eg NVidia).

This could be an excellant resource, but it needs a lot of sitting down, and
thinking and designing to make it as good as it could be.

> Anyway - just my ramblings :)
To which I've added!

Matthew