kmself@ix.netcom.com writes:
> Boot a standalone floppy or CDR GNU/Linux system and examine your HD.
> I'd recommend Tom's Root Boot if you're running a 2.1.x kernel (TRB
> doesn't handle some instances of 2.2.x ext2 filesystems), or the
> LinuxCare Bootable Business Card (BBC), which uses a 2.2.x kernel.
>
> I suspect HD damage, which may prevent you from accessing your HD and/or
> a Linux kernel located on it.

Wouldn't HD damage affect execution before the reboot? System has been
up all through the weekend, and I had rebooted and gone through LILO
four days ago.

I think it has something to do with the way the rescue disk is
starting the system. Not sure, however.

The boot sequence goes quite a way, until it gets to loading this
module. I'm inclined to think the disk is OK.

morgan