I've got one debian box, and I want to duplicate the package list onto
another machine - how do I go about doing this?

I've done a dpkg -l to get a list of files from the first machine. It's
got a whole load of extra information (package version no. etc) which I've
filtered out. How can I get apt to recognise the contents of the file as
being a list of packages to install? Is there a better tool for the job?

TIA,

Andrew