You can compress all .deb files into one zipped tar file
with only one command. See the manual page of tar. You
don't need to write code with a "for"-loop. I think it's
tar czf packages.tar.gz debdir
with debdir the directory containing all your .deb files,
and packages.tar.gz the target zipped tarfile.