On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 09:38:08AM +1000, Ian Perry wrote:
> You've probably looked at this already...but...
[...]
> Last resort, try turning off Plug and Pray (Play) and setting the IRQ for
> the card manually in the bios and try again.

These two tidbits solved my problem, which was a mis-detected Ethernet
card.  I got the diagnostic tool from the 3com site (the "etherdisk",
or something; it's now two floppies worth of self-extracting archive),
and noticed that one contained drivers.  I removed the driver I had, rebooted
to disable plug&pray, and windows said, "You have new hardware, but I
don't know what it is."  Directing it to the drivers extracted from
the disk revealed two that were compatible with the card, one PnP and
one "legacy"; I chose the second.  Ping works.  Putty works.  IP Masq
works.

This is what I wanted.  Thanks to all who replied.

This is a distressingly appropriate randomly generated signature.

Rob

--
If you find a solution and become attached to it, the solution may become
your next problem.