on Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 11:06:07PM +0200, Imre Vida ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> one more bit of info:
> I can ftp to the machine.
> This works absolutely fine.
> Funny.

Resources come in several flavors.  I'd suspect process table or open
files.  Note that some daemons run without spawning new processes, at
least to an extent.  Not sure that ftp is one of them, but it might be.

I'd run an 'lsof' or strace my failed command to get finer resolution on
the actual errors.  This assumes you can get access to the box in the
first place....

   Disclaimer:          http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/