hi.

i just installed an amd thunderbird 1.33ghz along with an Asus A7A266.
I also upgraded to a 450watt power supply so i hope its just
as stable :)

Currently I am running the same kernel(suprised it worked actually)
that i was using on the previous P3-800 on an Asus P3V4X.

Linux 2.2.18 + ide patch (disks are raid1 on an promise ata100)

my Q is  -- is the kernel best left configured for i686 or
i586 ? i was expecting it to crash on i686 but luckily it
did not.

CONFIG_M686=y
CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y
CONFIG_X86_BSWAP=y
CONFIG_X86_POPAD_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
# CONFIG_MICROCODE is not set
# CONFIG_X86_MSR is not set
# CONFIG_X86_CPUID is not set
CONFIG_1GB=y
# CONFIG_2GB is not set
# CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION is not set
CONFIG_MTRR=y

is my exact kernel config as far as the cpu goes ..

the only places i found on the net that seem to have info seem
to be down.

sorry if this is a FAQ :)
(and no i dont want to upgrade to 2.4 i still read about
too many problems with it especially swap/memory issues,
i don't want to add 1.5GB of swap to my system just because
i have 768MB of ram)

thanks

nate

--