Margarete Hans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
MH> I want to install Xfree86 4.1.0 on my laptop.

What version of Debian are you running?  Did you do a complete
install, or do you just have the (extremely minimal) "base system"?

MH> I tried running the Xinstall.sh with the -check option to find out
MH> witch version I need. Here is the output:
MH> "
MH> Checking what OS you're running...
MH> uname reports 'Linux' version '2.2.19pre17', architecture 'i486'.
MH> Xinstall.sh: file: command not found
MH> Object format is 'a.out'. Xinstall,sh: strings: command not found
MH>
MH> Linux a.out is no longer supported
MH> "

This output suggests that you're missing the standard-priority
packages 'file' and 'binutils', which you really should have on a
working system.

MH> Besides that, what are the advantages/disadvantages of GNOME/KDE?

Pretty, arguably easier to use than other ad-hoc X interfaces, very
resource-intensive in terms of both disk space and memory.

--
David Maze         [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://people.debian.org/~dmaze/
        -- Abra Mitchell