On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 02:06:29PM -0400, Allan M. Wind wrote:
| On 2001-07-21 13:17:14, Adam Bell wrote:
|
| >     What I would like to do is have one box, running Debian, which has a
| > constant routable IP (via cable or some other sort-of high speed protocol)
| > and a normal domain name.
|
| You could have someone serve dns for your domain, ideally you would
| want someone to do secondary dns for you anyways.  Alternatively, you
| could consider something like dyndns.org which will give you a
| hostname in their domain for free (donations are encouraged).

Thanks, I'll have to look this place up :-).

| > This will act as a mail server, samba server, FTP server, and
| > internet sharing gateway for like four or five machines sitting
| > behind it (and also make info on it available to the owners of these
| > machines while they are wandering the world via IMAP).
|
| I suspect that you will not be putting a heavy load on any of these,
| so a low-end machine (celeron/duron) should do just fine.

Yeah, it all depends on the load.  If you will do a lot of work, make
sure you have a fast disk first.

| >     So my question is this:
| >
| >     What kind of hardware, and in what configuration, would be best to throw
| > at this problem?  What I'm assuming is that I'll need an interface for the
| > modem, an interface going into a hub, and interfaces for all the clients.
| > Is there a better way to do this?
|
| wan --- gw --- hub ---- pc1
|                  \--- pc2
|                   \-- pc3
|
| You might be able to find a switch not much more expense than a hub
| these days, but you should go with 100 Mb/s network (cables, network
| cards and hub/switch).

I'm having good experiences with the D-Link DSS-8+.  It is an 8 port
(plus 1 uplink) 10/100Mbps ethernet switch.  I got it from CompUSA for
~$80.  NICs are fairly cheap -- you can get good
Linksys/Netgear/D-Link NICs for around $20 each.  No-name NICs are
fine also if you know what chipset they use (I have one, its a
rtl8139).

Routing is trivial to setup with the 2.2 kernels -- simply 'apt-get
install ipmasq'.  I don't know about the 2.4 kernels (other than they
use iptables instead of ipchains).

-D