Thus spake Markus Hansen on Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 11:36:31PM +0200:
> hi guys
> i have a
> logitech oem mouse
> model m-s48
> it has a wheel to scroll up and down webpages.
> does anyone know how i can make this thing work?
> the mouee works fine as a 2 bottom mouse, but the wheel does not work!
> Thank you for helping me
> markus

With X3 you need a tool called "imwheel"
With X4, you need to add this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Driver          "mouse"
        <...>
        Option          "Buttons"               "5"
        <...>
EndSection

However be advised that some of Logitech's M-S48 series can't be used
with the mouse on linux, I think it's the OEM stuff.
check out:
http://www-sop.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/

You might need another mouse. sorry.

HTH,
Romain
--
Telephone, n.:
        An invention of the devil which abrogates some of the advantages