I tried putting a .xinitrc with
exec wmaker
then
exec icewm

to no avail.  Here is my XFree86.0.log

Have you tried using a display manager like xdm or gdm?
I also remember you can specify a window manager from command line with the 'startx', but I don't know what the option is.

(WW) System lacks support for changing MTRRs

Not fatal, obviously, but I thought it was good to compile this into the kernel?

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize AGP

Odd, do you have AGP? Is it enabled in your kernel? Not fatal, either.

I have not had a problem of getting a window manager up, but I've always used a display manager.

--
Anthony Lau