Jason Majors wrote:
I just got an AMD chip and noticed that witht the RAM set to 133MHz in the
BIOS it would lock under Debian or Win98. It happened on my box and my
girlfriend's identical box. I'd suggest checking the memory settings.

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 11:59:06PM -0600, Rick Macdonald scribbled...

<snip re: someone else having lockups also>

I got an FIC motherboard with an AMD 1.2GHz Athlon; the mobo has a jumper to switch between 100MHz and 133MHz bus speed. If I set it to 133, I can then go into CMOS and watch the temperature monitor climb and climb until the machine locks solid. Switching it back down to 100 allows the machine to work properly.

I later got a hint that there's a 233-FSB flavor of 1.2 GHz Athlon, and a "normal" flavor. I suspect I got the wrong flavor. Mind you, I'm not very literate on modern hardware, so I may be speaking complete nonsense.

Kent