On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 07:29:28PM -0500, Gary Setter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like point out a problem with the installation
> instructions for Debian. Nowhere does the user receive a hint how
> to configure the Ethernet driver. I wasted considerable time
> getting my network connection up because I didn't know, 1) what
> my Ethernet card driver was and 2)what configuration parameters
> it needed.

Sounds to me like it was the most valuable part of the install for you.
You learned something:)

> I did get things up a running. I'd like to feed my experience
> back into the documentation. Has anyone else had the same
> problem(s) and if so, where could the documentation be improved
> to make installation easer?

I'm a little confused here.  What type of documentation is going to tell
you what network card you have in your computer and what configuration
parameters that card needs for your machine?  If your wishing that the
card was auto detected and installed for you then join the development
team and start coding.

Running linux often forces you to know something about your computer's
hardware.  Learn where to find the information.  If I don't know what
network card is in a computer, if it has windows installed, I would look
in "devices" to find out.  If that isn't an option I would pop the cover
and look on the card for the information.  Once you know the card
search google.com/linux for the driver name or the debian-user mail list
or http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/nic.html, etc.

Whether it is hardware/software or the OS you are dealing with, at some
point you're going to have to read documentation if you want to run linux.
hth,
kent