On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 03:21:27AM -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
> Dale Morris wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 22 Sep 2001, Dale Morris wrote:
> >
> > > Upgrading from potato to woody xdm was installed with X. When I removed
> > > it, X starts back up using my .xsession file, but there are no window
> > > managers or terminals on the menu in fvwm2. Those selections have
> > > disappeared. What can I do to get them back? Is there more recent
> > > or more understandable documentation that explains how this xinit
> > > process works?
> > >
> > aarrrrggh!! Now I see that Netscape has also disappeared from the menu,
> > too. update-menus does nothing.
>
>   that probably means that the debian menus are not used.
>
>   your problem is not related to xdm, check the configuration of fvwm,
> check the menus etc.

This sounds right.  You might try (if you haven't configured fvwm yourself)
running an `apt-get --purge remove fvwm` followed by `apt-get install
fvwm`, to reinstall the default debian configuration of fvwm, which gives
rather nice menus.  BTW I doubt that this is the right way to do this, I
just don't know a better way.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/