Abdul Latip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am just wondering where others put the local .debs
> (e.g. the kernel-image). Or is it usual just to keep it
> in /usr/src/ after "dpkg -i kernel..." ?

My desktop machine used to have a big pile of .debs in /usr/local/src,
and that was all fine.  These days I use mini-dinstall to keep a local
repository with current kernels in it (/usr/local/debian on the
desktop, $HOME/debian on the laptop).

The location of these things really doesn't matter at all.  I've
somewhat accepted the mantra that /usr/src is under /usr but not under
/usr/local, so it's the domain of dpkg to manage it.  And none of my
machines have /usr/src/linux at all; having it would just confuse things.

> - may I know what "char-major-10-135" is? I read it is
>   related to "RTC"; but I am not sure about how to get rid
>   of that message...

See Documentation/devices.txt in your kernel source, and look up
character major 10 minor 135.  You can get rid of the error message by
either building a kernel module that supports it (which one is
somewhat obvious from having looked at the devices file; it's under
"character devices" in the kernel config) or by aliasing
char-major-10-135 to 'off' with a file in /etc/modutils.

--
David Maze         [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://people.debian.org/~dmaze/
        -- Abra Mitchell