"Sharninder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> ifconfig eth0 my.ip.add.ress up
>> route add default gw my.gw.ip.address
>>

> put these two commands in a script under /etc/init.d and link it

Eew.  Debian already provides perfectly good infrastructure for
providing network settings.  Edit /etc/network/interfaces and add

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address a.b.c.d
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        broadcast a.b.c.255
        gateway a.b.c.1

(or whatever is appropriate).  'ifup eth0' will bring up and configure
the interface; this also happens automatically at boot time.

--
David Maze         [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://people.debian.org/~dmaze/
        -- Abra Mitchell