Hi all.
I have a bit of a problem. Every time I work with big files (movies,
converting mp3s to wavs for ripping), my system slows down to a crawl for
some time, while it is emptying the buffers. Here's a quick example:
I'm converting mp3 into wav using xmms. The whole song will convert
without any disk access whatsoever, then, after the song is over, the
system basically stalls while the .wav file is dumped to the disk.
This behavior is really really annoying me. Every once in a while,
especially with big files around 50-100M, I have to sit there for maybe
10-20 seconds while system is practically frozen up.
Is there any resolution to this? I'm going to upgrade to the latest 2.4
kernel soon, using 2.4.5 right now.
Please CC me, I am not subscribed.
Thanks,
  Andrei