[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi, I just ran test3Dfx and it can't find the VooDoo3 board! ... Then it
> segfaults! I am working on installing the 3dfx device now, but even when I
> had it installed, Quake 3 still ran at 1 fps, even at 16bpp in XFree86 (I
> think 3.3.6, it's whatever version comes with the Disc 1 2.2.19pre17 Debian
> ISO). I have all the packages I seem to need and have ./configure'd, make'd,
> and make install'ed MESA 4.0 and placed the Mesa-4.0 dir in the /usr
> directory, but I still have the same problems. I compiled in DRI and VooDoo 3
> drivers into the kernel. Can't find tdfx .. where is it in make xconfig?

  I just wrote another email where to find it but:

  not sure which versions you use but it's easier to use X 4.x and 2.4.x
kernel.

  with older X 3.x you don't need tdfx, you might need device3dfx (or
3dfxdevice (I forgot which), it's module 3dfx.o) to be able to run
openGL as non-root. I would strongly suggest to go with unstable (and
new X and kernel). Stable is good for server that you absolutely need to
have running but unstable (or testing, but I have better experience with
unstable (roughly: it's about as stable as testing but has much better
support - you get info about problems sooner and problems are fixed
faster)) is good enough for workstation and since you playing with
openGL I guess your life does not depend on the computer:-) openGL
support is also better in X 4.x, e.g. you get openGL in window, you
won't get stuck in fullscren openGL (at least it didn't happen to me yet
and it seems like in 3.x that was the norm)...

        erik