> As my subject line indicates, I'm getting the diagnostic:
>
>       Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00
>
> when I try to boot up with my home grown kernel.  I've tried several
> things with lilo on this, but I'm stumped.  rdev indicates the root
> partition is /dev/hda1, which is what I expect, and I seem to have good
> lilo entries, as follows:
>
> image=/vmlinuz
>         label=Linux
>         read-only
>         initrd=/boot/initrd
>
> and in fact with the dist kernel this lilo entry works fine, but with
> the one I get with make bzImage I get stuck on boot as stated.  Can
> someone point me to a specific doc to read on this problem, or is my
> mistake obvious?
> --
> http://www.eskimo.com/~xeno
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The mistake is not obvious to me.
Just guessing:

(1) Are you sure you need the initrd line? Do you actually have /boot/initrd?
This line is not shown in /usr/share/doc/lilo/examples/conf.sample.
(2) Have you run lilo after you installed the new kernel and before you
rebooted?
(3) Does the fs driver for the root device in the new kernel compiled as a
module?
(4) Could it be that you have not installed the new kernel properly? One way to
avoid this is to use Debian kernel-package.

--

    Shaul Karl
    email: shaulka (replace these parenthesis with @) bezeqint,