On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 11:40:37PM -0600, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
| on Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:19:12AM -0500, dman insinuated:
| > Sometimes it is more convenient, and other times it isn't. (FWIW
| > UNIX had the first IM called 'talk', too bad I never see it used
| > anymore (in fact, I can't get it to work at school))
|
| oh, i am a talk *geek*, and use it all the time on my school's student
| server.  it's how i kept in touch with half my friends who were abroad
| this past semester!

So, someone logs in on the console.  This is Solaris 8 on Sun SPARC
stations.  I log in remotely and run "who" and see them logged in to
several ttys.  How do I get talk to actually prompt them to complete
the connection?  Every time I've tried, talk sits on my terminal
waiting and nothing appears on the other screen.  (though I have used
talk successfully a few years ago while the systems were still solaris
7)

| (ytalk's even better.)

So I've heard, but

harmony [278]$ ytalk
bash: ytalk: command not found

it's not on those machines.

(Mark :)
    Doesn't [y]talk allow communicating with remote machines as well?

-D

--

The wise in heart are called discerning,
and pleasant words promote instruction.