David B Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> dictd is not really meant to be run by an end-user.

     This is not true.  There is no reason an end-user should not run
dictd, and many reasons why it can be desirable.

> Uninstall dictd, the 'dict' client will go out and look up dictionaries
> on the 'net.

     True.  If you have a fast, always on, Internet connectivity this
is a viable option.  However, dict.org has not installed updated
dictionaries as often as I have uploaded them to Debian.  Many of the
dictionaries on dict.org are at least one revision older than those
available on Debian.

     The memory used by dictd will be swapped out when another process
needs it.  I do not fully understand the kernel's memory management,
and the way tools like ps and free interface with it, but I have
noticed that if I check memory with free, then kill dictd and run free
again, my free memory has not changed significantly.

Bob
dictd maintainer
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>