Thus spake Anthony Campbell on Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 10:20:17AM +0000:
> After weeks of frustration, I've finally settled that the frequent
> lockups I've been getting when on-line with 2.4 series kernels is due to
> enabling ext3. If I turn this off in fstab the lockups don't occur. Has
> anyone else seen this?

Yes, I have had lockups too.

Config is 2.4.17 +ext3 +preempt patch +lock-break_patch

I don't know which of these is causing ext3 to fail, but since
it's all alpha stuff, I can't complain. Switching back to ext2
solved most problems.

<HELP NEEDED>
However, it would seem that my root partition is still mounted
as ext3, though it's specified as ext2 in /etc/fstab:

dmesg:
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds

But 'mount' show / as being 'ext2'. And I still have lockups,
though less frequent than before, when I was 100% ext3.
</>

The other partitions seem to be mounted as vanilla ext2, and
don't seem to fail.

I also have problems with SysRq+S not syncing.
I'll rollback the patches, and stay on ext2 for the time
being... :)

HTH,
Romain

--
Youth is a disease from which we all recover.
                -- Dorothy Fuldheim