As you might have noticed a lot of people are moving to XML.
I don't know much about technological superiority of the diffrent
options but XML has a lot of momentum. This means that xml has lots of
tools ,libraries, books, knowledgeble users on usenet etc.

I think that both DocBook and Linuxdoc have xml versions.

I've heard that people writing about math still prefer tex.